Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mock CGC - Getting Ready

I had so much fun in St. Louis, in spite of the snow, sleet, rain, and hot weather. And that was all just in one week! The children, ages 4 & 6, thought it was fun to play with me and their dog, Fredie, played a little bit, but mostly just tolerated me. She did share her backyard and I showed her how clever I was by immediately finding a way to get under the fence into the garden at the house next door. It was so fun at both houses with places to dig, sticks to carry, and squirrels to chase. I hope we get to go back very soon.

I have been busy since our return from St. Louis. MFM insists on practicing the things we learn at doggie school obedience classes. I think I am getting better at listening. I am also getting better at shaking hands. This coming Saturday is our mock Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test and the next week is the real thing. It will be my first step in becoming a therapy dog. I think I will enjoy visiting people but I don't think I am ready to lie down and listen to children read stories for 2 hours.

These are the things we have to do:
  • Accepting a friendly stranger - Shake hands, no shyness, not jump or lunge, handler shows control of dog
  • Sit politely for petting - Start in sitting position, stay at owner's side in sit or stand, can't pull away, pet, circle
  • Appearance and grooming - Sit or stand; comb / brushes dog; lightly examines ears and picks up feet
  • Out for a walk - Owner has control. right & about turn, one stop, need not sit at stop
  • Walking through a crowd - Walk through 3 people, may show some interest, slight sniff, not hide behind handler
  • Sit and Down on command / stay in place - Sit on command; down on command.Attach a 20 foot lead with dog in sit or down position, walk to  end of lead and back to dog. Dog must stay in place, not in position. 
  • Come when called - 20 foot lead attached, dog in sit, down, or stand position, (does not fail if follows; redirect), at end of 20 ft, call dog (3 attempts o.k.)) pass if dog comes; fail if passes or reeled in.
  • Reaction to another dog - 2 dogs / handlers 15 feet apart. Walk to each other, stop shake hands, exchange "hi", walk on. Dog can't pass mid line or go to follow other dog.
  • Reaction to distractions - One visual in front and one sound behind. may startle but regain composure
  • Supervised separation - out of sight for 3 minutes. Cannot continually bark, whine, show stress, pull
 The test is for MFM and me, so I hope she keeps her wits about her and we pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment