Monday, December 20, 2010

The Bark Park

I am a high energy dog! Getting a 3 mile walk on a leash prior to breakfast does not fulfill my exercise requirements for the day. Fortunately MFM takes me to the local dog park.The park is partially shaded, has grass and mulched areas, lots of trees, and a heavy-duty 6' fence. It is divided into two areas so big dogs and smaller dogs each have a safe area to run free.
The first time MFM took me there and released me from my leash, I hit the ground running and did not stop for an hour. I was almost the fastest dog there, but there one or two who gave me a run for my money. I reveled in all the smells! When I first arrived, all the other dogs ran over to greet me. I could not move because so many surrounded me and they sniffed every part of me. I tried to get some return sniffing in, but they were ready to play. There were 11 dogs in our area today and not one bit of discord. About half of us ran along the fence line with a big dog in the adjoining part of the park. We ran and barked and trampled over each other....ohhh, it was SO much fun!
I am beginning to have a few favorite friends amongst the dogs and I can run for shelter between the feet of any human adult in the park. The humans are very liberal with their praise and pats on my head. There is one fellow canine I am not so keen on but he can do an amazing thing. He is a 6 year old male who seems to keep walking on his two front feet while he raises both legs and pees out behind him. Unfortunately, I was sniffing him when he first showed me this trick. MFM washed my face but I think I will have to have a bath.
There are a few tiny little dogs that shake in the fancy sweaters when they are in the park. I tend to stick with the guys that are my size and we have a great time. We run at breakneck speed, play tug-of-war, jump on each other to make a big dog pile, and always have time to welcome newcomers.
I think the bark park is my favorite place!

No comments:

Post a Comment