Saturday, December 18, 2010

In the Beginning

I can't go any further back in my life than the shelter. It was a "high-kill" shelter, meaning that a lot of animals went in but very few found homes, so the shelter had to make room for the incoming animals. Sad, but true, and the reasons are as varied as the animals or the people who bring them in - tired of them; too old to keep up with them; owners move and pets must be left behind; taught them bad habits and now they aren't so cute anymore - the list can go on and on.
Fortunately, there are some dedicated people who try to rescue as many pets as possible and find homes for them. I was one of those who was rescued. I was taken to a great foster home where I had seven other canine playmates. My foster mom named me "Curly."
My photo was put up on the rescue dog internet site and that is where my forever mom (FM) found me.

I admit I wasn't much to look at while I was waiting for a forever home, but looks aren't everything. I was crate-trained, could "sit" on command, and was playful, healthy, and energetic. I had a lot to offer! Anyway, my FM drove all the way from Texas to pick me up. Well, she did stop off in St Louis to pick up her daughter for a traveling companion.
It was bitterly cold and a storm was brewing so I was glad to get out of town. Unfortunately, we stayed in St Louis for a couple of days to visit and the weather wasn't any better there. FM bundled up in three layers and I had to walk in snow so deep it brushed my belly. I dug my heels in when she tried to get me out the door into the snow, but it didn't do any good.
I hope my friends at the shelter made it out O.K. and I hope people will become more responsible so shelters do not have to go to extremes to make room for animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment