Saturday, April 16, 2011

Celebrating the Alamo

I got to go along on the car trip to San Antonio. It was delightful to sit in the middle seat and have Cate & Mary Ellen make a fuss over me. I LOVED it and it made the long ride more enjoyable.

We saw a LOT of things and I wondered if Austin's motto of"Keep Austin Weird" shouldn't be applied to San Antonio. This lady and her hat were quite colorful.

Of course, I could not go into many of the places in San Antonio, but I still found them very accommodating and I was on my really best behavior so there would not be a problem. I knew I could not enter the Alamo or the grounds, so MFM and I walked across the street to the Visitor's  Center to get information. They welcomed me in there and we learned about what was available in town. MFM bought tickets to ride all day long on the trolley and bus. They could take us all over town and to the missions. We parked near the Alamo so we would not have a long way to walk and would be able to easily find our car at the end of the day. It had the added advantage of being accessible if we forgot anything and we had snacks and drinks in the car.

The celebration of the 175th anniversary of the Alamo was in full swing, so there were several opportunities available. We arrived just as the Navy was demonstrating some uses of canine warriors. They were amazing! I got the best seat in the house to watch them - under the chair of a sailor. Those dogs would respond immediately to the handler's commands. They were precise and orderly just like their handlers and all they got in return was was a pat on the head. They deserved some REAL treats. I wonder if MFM was taking note.

This dog attacked on command....




....then took the arm protector right off the guy.

Another attack!

Now this guy understands "Down!" "Stay!"

"Sit" and pay attention.



I have seen how the "pros" do it,  so I have a lot to live up to. My advanced classes start on April 30th. I have an idea MFM will be expecting a lot from me.



No comments:

Post a Comment