Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Busy Day

Whew! What a day! MFM, her neighbor and I took our usual 3 mile walk this morning and I barely had time settle in when we got back home. I only had a little bit of breakfast because I had to save room for "treats". What's up with that?
A short time later, MFM whisked me off to the park pavilion. There were dogs there and some were my friends from the dog park, but I wasn't allowed to greet them. Next thing I knew all the dogs and their handlers were circled up and listening to a woman give instructions. I knew then that trouble was brewing. We had to learn to understand hand signals as well as verbal commands. I hope I don't have to obey EVERY time.
One dog used to be a reading companion. She would go to the library or the school and just lie around while a child read to her. Now she is deaf so she has to learn the hand signals. Wonder if the children will care that she really can't hear them.
We spent a whole hour learning to look at our handlers like we were interested in what they might say, sitting when they told us to, and racing to their sides when we were called. "Good citizen" training was what someone called it. It was soooo easy. The difficult part was keeping from being distracted. I got some really good treats so I might like to go back.
I managed to get a nap before MFM bundled up and took me to the dog park. Finally, I go to romp with Millie and my other friends. Sparky and I spent a lot of time tearing around while sharing custody of the green chartruese monster. Boy, do I like to get dirty. Guess a bath is in my not-to-distant future.
I have been fed and have napped, now it is almost time to go to bed. I might even be too tired to dream and snore.

No comments:

Post a Comment