Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Had a Hang Up

MFM says I am quite well-behaved and smart. It only takes me 2-3 times being told before I have learned the lesson. Of course, that doesn't mean I always do what is expected, but I have usually learned the lesson. MFM keeps me nearby most of the time because....well....I have gotten into a little, teeny bit of trouble now and then. I generally come running when she calls and sometimes I get a treat.

I don't get treats when MFM finds me sitting in her place on the sofa after I have been running in the mud at the dog park. She wipes my face and paws so I don't know what all the fuss is about. I don't get treats when MFM finds me lying on the rug shredding pine cones from the basket at the entrance to the house. I have never gotten a treat for sneaking a wooden shoe out of its resting place so I can chew on it. She likes to know where I am at all times. I wonder why.

Tonight, I was happy MFM does keep a close eye on me. We had gone for a walk in the rain and I had just finished my obligatory racing in a circle through the rooms after she released me from my leash at home. I was still wearing the harness.  She called several times from another room but I was very quiet and did not know what to do. She came into the room where I was but she didn't see me and left again, still calling out and becoming a little annoyed with my lack of response.I still didn't know what to do.

Finally, she came in again and looked around the room, searching for my hiding spot. Luckily, that is when she saw me. I don't know how it happened, but my harness had gotten caught on the sharp edge of the bed frame and I was hooked with it tight around my neck. It took some maneuvering to finally get the harness free so she could remove it. I only whimpered a little bit but she cuddled me and made everything all right.

Neither of us knew a harness could be so potentially lethal. I will only wear mine now when it is time for a walk.

1 comment: